Activity Safety Guidelines
Activity Safety Guidelines (ASGs) are for high risk activities including those covered by the Adventure Activities Regulations. They are voluntary guidelines that reflect what the regulator and industry have agreed is good practice for managing safety.
ASGs have been developed with extensive industry input, technical expert guidance and WorkSafe NZ support. They are highly regarded as a reliable source of good practice information. ASGs need to be thoughtfully applied to each operation and must be used in conjunction with expert advice.
Download the ASGs
- Abseiling (Version 2)
- All Terrain Vehicles (Version 2)
- Alpine Hiking (Version 1)
- Canyoning (Version 2)
- Caving (Version 1.3)
- Coasteering (Version 1.2)
- Dive (Version 1.2)
- Heli-Skiing (Version 1.1)
- High Wire and Swing (Version 3)
- Indoor Climbing (Version 2)
About the ASGs
The ASG principles and development and review processes were established with the support of WorkSafe NZ and extensive industry consultation in 2012. For more information, download the following documents:
ASG review schedule
- 2018: Canyoning, Caving, Coasteering, Abseiling - these reviews are currently underway, please contact us if you want to be involved
- 2019: Indoor climbing, Alpine Hiking, Heli-skiing
While ASGs undergo scheduled reviews, feedback is welcome at any time. Please contact us.